Tuesday, February 6, 2018

The Ends Of Innocence

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The whole Manifesto for the actual Museum of Innocence in Istanbul is excellent, but I particularly like Orhan Pamuk's summary at the end:
 
The picture is, in fact, very simple;
WE HADWE NEED
EPICSNOVELS
REPRESENTATIONEXPRESSION
MONUMENTSHOMES
HISTORIESSTORIES
NATIONSPERSONS
GROUPS AND TEAMSINDIVIDUALS
LARGE AND EXPENSIVESMALL AND CHEAP

Isn't that a finely sane list?

Indeed, everything about the place struck me as deeply sane, as well as deeply thought-provoking. Wandering around the house I felt genuinely in touch with another way of life even as I recognised features of my own history in there.

In the sort of guest book, a copy of the novel The Museum of Innocence in English translation I wrote: 'Magically real; really magical'. But nothing I can say can do justice to the genuine magic of the place.

No comments: