Sunday, November 5, 2017

Feeling Good

One of the happy discoveries I made about myself in my twenties (I suppose, rough guess) was that far from being someone of great depth, prone to a profundity of thought that resulted in an inevitable melancholia, I was remarkably superficial and capable of being cheered up to a point of straightforward cheerfulness by the entirely unremarkable. Thus, getting reasonable amounts of exercise and keeping reasonably fit turned out to be a sure-fire recipe for feeling good. Similarly, keeping things reasonably tidy and under control in my immediate environment pretty much ensured a sunny outlook on the world and its attendant madness.

Evidence of the fact that nothing much has changed for me in this regard is the fact that I find myself a distinctly thoughtlessly happy soldier today for having (a) cleared up most of the heavy stuff at my place in work this morning, in preparation for the big shift on the way, and (b) felt on top form in my statutory workout at the gym this evening.

There's a lot of talk in schools about developing character. But sometimes not having too much of it works wonders.

No comments: