Monday, October 9, 2017

Real Learning

Apropos of my comments from yesterday on just how slow my reading is these days, I must say that I tend to forget just how much on-line reading I do, and thoroughly enjoy. Today, for example, I took multi-tasking to a whole new level by reading most of an excellent interview with master drummer/percussionist Pat Mastelotto over at Anil Prasad's Innerviews whilst assisting the Missus in her shopping at the supermarket in Clementi Mall.

I must admit when I first came across Pat as a player in the double-trio version of King Crimson, teamed with Bill Bruford, I completely underestimated his contribution, thinking that Bruf just didn't need anyone else alongside him. Intriguingly Pat admits to feeling something of the same during that period, a mark of his amazing groundedness and appreciation of others. Indeed, the whole interview is a pleasure to read in terms of his insights and powerful good sense. Imagine a stellar musician saying this: 

If you go back to when Crimson stopped in 1997, I figured we’d get right back together in a year or so. So, I immediately went out and took as many music classes as I could. My weaknesses became super-apparent in King Crimson. They surfaced more than when I would play within the needs of a pop record. Now, the needs were greater. I always had things in my imagination that I couldn’t play and that's why I embraced technology. I felt it was either compromise on my vision or find a way to strengthen my playing. I met Cenk Eroglu and went to Turkey a few times and that was eye opening. I found local teachers and took djembe, tabla, kanjira, piano, voice, tap, and Middle Eastern music classes. I had a night school schedule. I took a weekend class at North Texas State University. Ed Soph, who was the Professor of Drum Set at North Texas State, is one of the best in the world and he said “I see a lot of your fundamental problems. You would really benefit from a summer camp we do with four teachers including Gary Chaffee.” So I did that. Gary opened a lot of doors for me. I also practiced a lot.

A role model for those who think they have some kind of talent and want to develop it.

No comments: