Thursday, October 5, 2017

Ill Will

Confession time: I felt a wholly reprehensible - but highly enjoyable - sense of malicious glee over Mrs May's discomfiture during her catastrophic speech at the Conservative Party Conference. Now I'm not known for my support for any of the egregious Tories, current or past, but to actively enjoy one of them having the worst of times is a bit odd, even for me. And I don't have any special dislike for the lady in question (which is not exactly the case regarding her female forerunner.) So why react in this way?

Actually I was genuinely puzzled initially, then I realised my reaction was fuelled by a sort of twisted sense of revengeful justice. These creeps have done everything in their power - and they have lots of power in the media and other places - to cast as much mud, and other even more unpleasant substances, at Mr Corbyn. The lady in question was not exactly behind the door in joining in, was she? Whilst I'm not exactly a fan of Jeremy, I recognise the genuineness and integrity of the man, and it was a delight to contemplate the astonishing ascent of his fortunes as so-called 'strong and stable leadership' has come crashing down.

A good reminder, methinks, for us all to never believe in our own publicity.

No comments: