Sunday, September 3, 2017

Getting It Together

15.10
Now packing for our journey north. The usual minor crisis as to which books & CDs to load is almost at an end, but I know I'll end up hankering for something I have decided not to take by the second day. Must say, am looking forward to getting stuck into my Collected Keats, sorely missed during my recent reading of Motion's biography. Endymion here I come.

22.45
I thought we might be blessed with an easy journey up to Melaka (where we've stopped off at for the evening in order to spend a bit more time with Mak & family.) And it looked that way initially as we sailed through Tuas admiring the jam coming into Singapore, probably resulting from folks returning after spending the long Hari Raya Haji weekend in Malaysia. Then it all went pear-shaped, as they say, or used to say the last time I was resident in the UK. How is it possible to have such slow-moving traffic between Pagoh and Melaka on an ordinary Sunday? Why do we need to pay a hefty toll for roads that can't handle the volume of traffic they were (presumably) designed for? Why do I bother getting irritated by all this?

Never mind - a fine bowl of soup and accompanying roti at Aziz's place put all to rights.

No comments: