Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Roth And Ready

We're off north on Sunday for a bit of a break - one week, and grateful for it - but there's plenty to negotiate first with a camp for our Drama guys starting tomorrow and celebrations for Hari Raya Haji ahead. (Flooded with memories from last year's Hajj of late, wonderfully so.) Looking forward to getting a bit of concerted reading done soon, particularly in terms of making inroads into the McGilchrist tome that young Jordan sent over. It's packed with fascinating stuff on the brain, though my brain, being not so young as it was, is struggling to unpack it all. But enjoyably so.

Also considering getting down and dirty with a bit of fiction, with a couple of items that came my way entirely unexpectedly today looking likely candidates. Since one just happens to be by the entirely wonderful Philip Roth, I think I know which is going to occupy me soonest.

Postscript: Mighty puzzle from yesterday. How did I neglect to mention my reading of Walcott's Omeros? Especially since this modern epic seems twice as good as when I first read it way back when - and it had quite some impact on me then. Why does the best poetry get better with each reading? An answer isn't required, though I can think of one. Or even two. Just the simple fact of the experience is enough.

No comments: