Saturday, August 5, 2017

Hearing Things

Having got a heap of marking out of the way by the early afternoon I wandered up to Holland Village, as is my wont when the Missus is not around to organise me. Had a cuppa in the Coffee Bean up there and stuck in the earplugs to listen to some music as I watched the crowd go by.

One of life's deep truths I have recently discovered: you can't listen to Messiaen's Catalogue d'Oiseaux for solo piano whilst observing the world in motion. There's too much silence in the music and that gets taken up with the usual sound effects provided by all and sundry. Anyway, this truth was again confirmed up at HV so I switched to the avant garde sounds of Art Zoyd for a bit of Rock in Opposition. Perfection. As I sat there sipping my chai latte no one could have suspected how deeply subversive I was and, indeed, am. (The album in question, by the way, was Symphonie pour le jour où brûleront les cités and the tea wasn't that great, which is very odd as it's usually spot on. What's wrong with Coffee Bean? I ask.)

No comments: