Thursday, November 10, 2016

Loosening Up

Finally got back to the gym yesterday evening to do 30 minutes on the elliptical thingumajig therein. That was a wee bit conservative as a target but I was conscious of not having been on the machine since before embarking on the Hajj and of suffering quite severe cramp in my legs, both of them, directly after finishing the production last weekend. Wary of exacerbating the cramp or hurting my back, I settled on the reduced number and was glad of doing so. My breathing felt a bit ragged for the first 15 minutes or so, suggesting I needed a bit of time to readjust and affirming my good sense.

So why did it take me so long to get back to real exercise after the Hajj? Well, when I came back I was down with a sore throat and flu-like symptoms for a good week or so, and after that the demands attendant upon getting something acceptable on stage pushed real life and its pleasures and pains, including exercise which is a peculiar mixture of both, to one side. Fortunately I suppose that the rigours of the Hajj helped keep me reasonably fit - or at least militated against a dramatic reduction in fitness levels - and the running around integral to my style of directing also helped - as well as precipitating the assault by cramp.

Noi was with me yesterday, by the way, and looked reasonably comfortable on the treadmill despite her lay-off. We're intending to hit the gym again this Saturday - by way of a declaration of intent. It's nice to know we see this as a beginning rather than the end.

No comments: