Monday, October 17, 2016

Looking On

Got back from work today and, as usual, switched on the telly for a bit of news. Found myself flicking restlessly between various news channels, when it occurred to me that the switching of channels has become habitual. I realised that for the most part it isn't because I'm trying to look for something I find interesting; rather it's result of wanting to shut out whatever depressing story I find myself hearing too much about. I can only take so much about atrocities in Syria, Brexit, ISIS, the Presidential Election and other examples of our collective folly.

But then I cheered myself by considering that it's always been this way and I've been privileged to have generally avoided participation in the making of history in my lifetime. I've watched it all from the relative safety of the side-lines, and am deeply glad that that has been the case.

No comments: