Monday, August 1, 2016

Gone

Was on the blower to Maureen's husband John last night and it seems his car was stolen a couple of weeks ago. He'd parked it outside their bungalow and it sounds as if someone got into the house during the day, took the car keys and waited until night fell before driving off in it. Fortunately the insurance has paid out without any kind of fight but having had houses I lived in in Sheffield burgled no fewer than three times I can tell you it's an odd feeling when someone makes off with one or more of your possessions. 

Reminds me of when my old pal Simon had his car nicked on a street in Manchester one night after he'd given us all a lift to the pub. We stood around the spot where the vehicle had been parked in a state of semi-disbelief as if it would somehow materialise again if we stared hard enough. It didn't.

Now I think of it, I really hate that sort of petty theft because it's anything but petty to those on the receiving end. It's a good job I'm not a magistrate, or judge: I suspect there'd be precious little mercy in my courtroom.

4 comments:

Simon said...

Hi Brian - I remember that well. We came out of the Brunswick Tavern (as it was then) and I remember walking up and down the road looking at the vacant space where said vehicle once stood and thinking I must have left it elsewhere! You probably don't recall but it eventually turned up in London somewhere with various odd items left in the boot (some fishing tackle included I seem to recall!) The police suggested that someone probably took it as they had missed a train and it was raining that night - not sure though what Sherlock Holmes would have deduced from the fishing tackle inclusion.

Brian Connor said...

Hi Simon - Funnily enough I did remember that the car eventually turned up, but I'd forgotten about the mysterious fishing tackle. I knew it all took place somewhere near Piccadilly Station. Was the car originally parked on a side road off the main road? Had completely forgotten that we'd been in the Brunswick Tavern. But now I see the name of that hostelry again the memories have come flooding back...

Simon said...

Hi Brian - yes it was just parked on the side road next to the Brunswick. It was an eventful evening as Judy called her Dad to pick us up and I think it was the first time I had met him. It's funny how well you can remember details from so long ago and yet I now forget what happened last week! Must be part of the ageing process I guess.

I will have to update you on what's been happening (If I can remember!). I'm just going through some employment changes at the moment but hopefully it will be resolved soon. Let us know if you're ever due to visit sunny Manchester and we will have to meet up again if you can manage it.

Brian Connor said...

Do you know Simon, I had this strong sense that Judy was around that night but couldn't actually specifically recall who was there. As soon as I read your comment above memories of the scene came back from that mysterious place they have a way of disappearing to. And, like yourself, I have little if any chance of recalling the salient details of last week.

We're seriously contemplating a visit to sunny Manchester in not so sunny December and, of course, would love to catch up with all your news. If we're there, which is highly likely, we'll definitely avail ourselves of your wonderful hospitality!