Thursday, August 25, 2016

For Sale

Was having a bit of a chat earlier today with Peter and Chris about the world of international schools. They've both taught in them and I never have. Chris was talking about one particular franchise that had earned its progenitor oodles of the green stuff.

Now here's a funny thing. Usually when I hear about folks making lots of cash selling education I feel a stab of jealousy over the painful truth that they're rolling in it and, let's face it, I'm not. But this time round the stabbing feeling didn't arrive. Instead I felt vaguely relieved I didn't have to face the headache of figuring out how to make the money (I suspect it's not easy, even when clever people make it look that way) and sort of happily uncompromised about what I do on a day-to-day basis.

I suppose that sounds a bit saint-like, uncomfortably so. But I don't mean to suggest I do what I do out of some sense of charitable dedication. I do it to earn a living, and I manage a comfortable one, thank you very much. But I'm doubtful about the idea of turning the business of the classroom into a business. Somehow, in ways I can't really articulate, that doesn't work for me. (But more power to your elbow if you see it differently, and wish to earn more than a bob or two along the way.)

No comments: