Monday, February 1, 2016

Connecting

It was in the middle of a conversation I had with someone last year that an obvious truth was pointed out to me that I had completely failed to take cognisance of in any shape whatsoever. The speaking of this truth took a certain amount of courage also. It was this: one of the benefits of social media that is often left unrecognised (by myself, for example) is that very lonely people are provided with a way, often their only real way, of connecting with others through the channels those media provide. The speaker was talking partly, and, as I said courageously, given the sense of vulnerability revealed, from experience.

I was reminded of this today in a conversation in which I realised something about someone that I'd never been conscious before, again concerning what might have been thought of as an area of vulnerability. I don't think of myself as a particularly obtuse person, but maybe I should start doing just that. So often I just don't see what's there in front of me.

No comments: