Wednesday, February 3, 2016

A Sense Of Proportion

Nick Mason, of Pink Floyd fame, has always struck me as a decent sort of bloke. Not that I know him, of course, but I'm speaking from a distance mediated by interviews and that sort of thing. Also thinking in terms of his being able to survive somehow between the Scylla and Charybdis of Gilmour and Waters, and keep banging those drums.
 
But reading an interview with him in the January 2016 issue of Prog, which I got hold of yesterday, has seen him rise to stellar heights in my estimation, for the most part due to his answer to a question about whether he thought his role in Floyd was undervalued. It began like this (and got better): I think it's been overrated! Because I was in such a successful band I am regarded as being better than I am...

It's just astonishing for a guy to survive in the 'rock world' with his sanity intact to that degree. (Actually, I've got to say though, that on the several occasions I saw Floyd live in the early 70's he was very impressive.) Must read his book about life in the band.

No comments: