Monday, January 4, 2016

Wardrobe Malfunction

If you're going to have a complete disaster at work then the first day of a new year is a good time to choose. It prepares you for the worst that can happen. Fate duly selected today as a good time for me to encounter a major problem with the zip on my trousers and to remind me of the great truth that they don't make zips like they used to.

Fortunately the great breakdown took place after I had completed all my lessons. Unfortunately this still left me with an hour of Chapel to negotiate plus a TOK briefing. The zip having given way irreparably at the top still held uneasily together for some of this time and only completely dissolved, as it were, just after the briefing. With the aid of a brilliantly positioned file and diary I managed to evade notice throughout this period thus pulling off an unlikely victory in the jaws of defeat and humiliation. Sadly the offending trousers were deemed beyond salvation by the Missus who knows of these things and brutally threw them out. (Although I've got to say she treated the whole incident with an inappropriate degree of levity.)

Possibly the best single piece of advice I've ever heard in my career came forcibly to mind today. It was Phil Chappell at Rawmarsh many years ago who told me: Always check the zipper on your trousers before you do an assembly. Wise words. I can only give deep thanks that there was no reason for me to be on that stage this afternoon.

No comments: