Sunday, January 10, 2016

Back On The Treadmill

In truth it was the elliptical trainer I got back on today, but I hope you'll accept the poetic license involved in the rather spiffy title above. At all events it was a notable reunion of man and machine, at least from the point of view of the man actually on the machine. It's been more than a month since I've been to the gym - 29 November being the most recent auspicious occasion - and I was wondering to what degree my fitness might have declined. The answer seems to be: somewhat, but not precipitously; though I'll need to ascertain exactly how my body has reacted to my latest work-out on the morrow.

I managed my statutory 35 minutes of labour, though I must say I felt like giving up after the first 15 minutes and had no real energy at all for the final 5. I thought I'd remained reasonably active in New Zealand but reality set in today. Insofar as I have any target related to these activities, I'm hoping to feel fit enough to repeat the experience a couple of times this week, even if I can't manage the full 35 minutes each time.

The funny thing is how I always find myself looking forward to each session, and after the first 10 minutes wonder why I keep torturing myself.

No comments: