Sunday, January 17, 2016

A Bit Of Nostalgia

Listened to Ennio Morricone's music for Cinema Paradiso over the weekend for the first time in a long time. Incredibly evocative music, even if you haven't seen the movie, and I've seen the movie more than once, which multiplies the already powerful impact the music possesses.
 
Strangely listening to the soundtrack recording got me thinking fondly of a period in my adult life before I ever saw the film. Somehow I managed to associate a number of the tunes with that time and some of the people in it, several of whom have gone to their long homes. It's an embarrassing truth that whenever I watch the movie I end up blubbing well before the end (though I have to tell you that the Missus starts reaching for the tissues well before me.) And now it seems the music alone can push me in that direction.

In some ways I distrust the inclination to wallow in nostalgia for an unreachable past, but nevertheless it's hard to resist - and impossible when Morricone is in control.

No comments: