Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Low Maintenance

Just back from half an hour on the torture machine pedal thingy elliptical trainer in the gym. For around two months now I've been clocking thirty minute sessions on it two or three times a week. On Sunday I upped the duration to thirty-five minutes just to see how it felt, and it didn't feel good at all. I think I've reached an age at which the automatic improvement in stamina you might feel after quite a short period of exercise (I used to think of it as the exercise effect) doesn't happen any more.

But one thing has changed. Initially I found it very difficult to get a steady rhythm of breathing on the machine. I suppose it's because I was being denied the usual sense of the length of my stride. The stride cycles that come naturally on the pedals feel a good deal quicker somehow, which means I need to breathe more quickly, and that felt all wrong when I first got up there. Tonight the breathing felt effortless. Progress, of a kind.

No comments: