Thursday, February 5, 2015

In High Places

More than once over the last few months the little confabs between myself, Peter, Chris and Philip over the cup that cheers have turned to examination of the dreadful case of Jimmy Savile. I like to think that this isn't simply because of an unhealthy interest in the vileness of what the man got up to, but a concern about the extent to which he was able to do what he did as a result of the collusion of others - and I'm talking about people in positions of power and responsibility.
 
We're not conspiracy theorists, I hasten to add, and our particular little jury remains out on any final verdict on the behaviour of what one might term The Establishment as it manifested itself during the period in question. But we believe in a reasonably detached way that there's a real possibility that some extremely grisly truths may remain to be unearthed.

How do networks of power become corrupted? The terrible answer I suspect is: easily.

No comments: