Sunday, January 4, 2015

Rested

I'm not entirely sure why but I've been sleeping extremely well and at what might be seen as extreme length since we got back from Saudi Arabia. On four days I've enjoyed long lie-ins followed by naps during the day: Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and, today, Sunday. The only exception has been Friday when I went into work and even then I snoozed in the car as we drove here to Melaka. This has been most welcome - I'm one of those who regard time spent asleep as time well spent - but a tad unexpected since I didn't feel particularly tired when in Medinah and Makkah.

Mind you, we did get up everyday at 4.00 am there for Dawn Prayers in the masjid, and although we sometimes napped on brief tours on the coach generally there wasn't much time for snoozing. I suppose the whole meditative experience of prayers in the two mosques felt restful in a different way. I never really felt short of sleep there, except for the morning after we completed our first umrah in the middle of the night. The Imam selected some ultra-lengthy readings for Swubuh and I wondered if I might actually keel over in the middle, I felt so sleepy. But that was the exception. I guess the last few days have involved making up for lost sleep I didn't even realise I'd lost. Or perhaps I'm just getting old.

No comments: