Saturday, November 29, 2014

Still Old Friends

 
 
The disconcerting thing about meeting someone you've not seen for a while is the sudden feeling of trepidation you experience just before you do so that there's some possibility of hearing bad news about family or mutual acquaintances. Fortunately our meeting today with Steve threw up nothing but good news regarding family. To my gratified surprise his mum is still with us having reached the big nine-zero. I sort of assumed the worse based on the fact of my own Mum's death and my erroneous belief that his mum was older than mine. Also gratifyingly, all his offspring have turned out to be remarkably accomplished and are making their various marks in distinctly creative ways.

So, given all this and the sheer enjoyment of nattering away with a big buddy it was nearly all good (as the shots above testify). Alas, there's always an exception when you reach our age. Steve gave me news of the death some five years ago of a mutual friend from our time at university. I'd have to say it was tentative news in that he was pretty sure, but not quite one hundred per cent. I hope he's wrong, but I've got a horrible feeling it wasn't a case of mistaken identity. 

Thinking of the friend in question I find it impossible to picture him as anything but the warm, gently cheerful, happily eccentric young man of several decades ago. Sad to think he may be gone, but happy to think he was here, and hopeful he had his share of the wonderful ordinary happiness that Steve and myself have been granted.

No comments: