Thursday, November 20, 2014

Not An Entirely Loose End

Noi is currently heading north, to climes KL, leaving me a touch lonesome back at the ranch. I'm filling the gap at this moment by playing Joe Jackson's The Duke at an unreasonably reasonable volume. Funnily enough I was disappointed when I first got hold of this gem, thinking it over-produced. I think I assumed that any tribute to Edward Kennedy Ellington would necessarily feature horns - and definitely not synthesisers - and was perturbed to find Mr Jackson had gone in a very different direction from that he followed on the wonderful Jumpin' Jive of some years back. Now I love the wittily eclectic mix of the album and the sheer fun of it all. If you can't have fun playing the music of Duke Ellington, then when can you?

Next up, I think I'm inclined to bang on a bit of Elvis Costello with The Roots, for no particular reason other than the fact it's a really good combination. So there. (Eagle-eyed musos may spot the fact that Ahmir '?uestlove' Thompson features on both the CDs, another good reason for playing them.) 

No comments: