Sunday, November 9, 2014

Limitations

Saw Fafa off at the airport this morning for her trip to China and then came back to enjoy a day of rest. Unfortunately this wasn't exactly what I'd had in mind for the day. Actually I'd planned to take myself and the Missus off to the Esplanade to watch Bryony Lavery's play Frozen being done by Arian Pang's company. This wasn't to be due to the lack of availability of tickets. I'd not tried to book until too late since I'd not been sure of whether we were going to be free to watch the play. Must say, I'm pleased at the sell-out for Pangdemonium since I'm pretty sure running a group doing serious theatre on a regular basis on the island is hard work deserving of reward. But, as so often is the case, I'm irritating at missing something tasty when the diet of good theatre here is so thin.

The problem is that nothing out of the mainstream ever gets a decent run - Frozen was on for little more than a week, for example. Even the mainstream musicals come and go pretty quickly so you need to be on your toes to catch them. And the demands of my line of work are such that quite lengthy periods of time are often wiped out in terms of a life beyond. And when it comes to one-off concerts, it's a cause for celebration when we do manage to get to something.

But I also have to admit that if I put a bit more effort in I could get myself to a few more events than I now manage annually. I suppose that the youthful energy that got me to Halle concerts on a weekly basis back in the 80s has thinned out along the way. I suspect I was equally busy then, but less prone to excuses. And just how was it that I managed to turn out to play for Whiston FC pretty much every Saturday in the football season?

Yep, at least some of the limitations I'm moaning about are my own and no one else's.

No comments: