Thursday, November 6, 2014

Genius

I decided a little while ago to purchase an iPod thingy on account of the fact I'd discovered how to download stuff from iTunes onto more than one computer and realised that if I could get said stuff on said Pod thingy I could play it through the stereo in the living room. Thus making life complete. Well, not really, but it would be a nice add-on to the plenty I already enjoy. I've got a reservation or two about iTunes, most of which are based on the fact that from what I can gather the remuneration for the musicians involved is not exactly equitable, but it's all too murky for me to figure so what the heck is my carefully thought through conclusion, at least for the moment. But I'm still managing to drag my feet over actually getting the device and getting down to business. And I think I've figured out why.

The case of Bill Frisell sort of sums it up for me. Browsing the albums available at iTunes I realised that at a conservative estimate I would download at least fifteen immediately. Now I can afford these, but I'm not at all sure I could do justice to all of them in terms of giving them the listening ear or two they deserve. And then I'm pretty sure I would discover in double-quick time some other equally worthy name whose material was urgently in need of making mine.

So as long as I stave off acquiring the technology I can hold back from drowning in the glories of Gone, Just Like A Train and the like. But surely no one can resist something so urgently, wonderfully marvellous for too long? On the Frisell-front I'm a gone case, as they used to say.

No comments: