Friday, September 12, 2014

Not Entirely Farcical

Finished Michael Frayn's Headlong this morning. Highly entertaining, as you might expect from the guy who wrote the brilliant farce Noises Off and the screenplay for the wonderfully daft Clockwork - my favourite John Cleese movie, A Fish Called Wanda not withstanding. Frayn's protagonist-narrator is a typically ineffectual philosopher turned inept con-man with an interest on the side in Dutch art, which develops into quite an obsession and if you like this sort of stuff, which I do, there's not much you're not going to enjoy about the novel. It turns out to be a great way to learn about the life and work of Pieter Breugel and since at one time, back in my teens, I would have claimed him as my favourite artist this aspect of the book in itself held enormous appeal for me.

Indeed, I rather think it's Frayn's dark picture of life in the Lowlands under authoritarian Spanish rule that I'll most clearly remember about the novel as opposed to the laugh-out-loud moments, of which there are several. I suppose the fact that he doesn't really marry these two aspects of the work together means it's not really possible to regard Headlong as anything other than a well-crafted entertainment, but that was quite good enough for me, thanks.

2 comments:

me said...

Hi Mr Connor , I don't know if you remember me but I'm Taran . Am working in London but back in Singapore for a break and for some reason the old tk days have been on my mind ! Let me know if you would like to get a cup of tea sometime! Taran

Brian Connor said...

Hello Taran - yes, indeed, I remember you very well from our dramatic days in the past. A cup of tea sounds very nice indeed. Let me know how we might make the concept manifest.