Thursday, August 14, 2014

But Is It Art?

Something I wrote in my journal ten years ago to the day:
 
Watched a very interesting documentary this afternoon on BBC World about this young British artist, Michael Landy, who created a kind of piece of performance art based on the destruction of all his possessions. It was oddly powerful - funny, disturbing, moving, thought-provoking. The artist himself came across as very likeable, even if obviously a driven kind of guy. Certainly the ambivalent feelings I experience about my possessions and consumerism in general surfaced strongly as I watched. If art is meant to engage you then this art succeeded in a big way.
 
Just checked on Wikipedia if the chap's still at it, and he is, though the entry didn't say much about his work beyond the 'piece' I remember. Generally I'm a bit of a cynic about all this conceptual art malarkey, but this was one example that opened my eyes in some small way to the possibilities involved. I actually remember the programme in question in vivid detail a decade on whilst being completely clueless with regard to references I made on the adjoining days to what I was then doing at work.

No comments: