Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Unpredictable

11 Ramadhan 1435

A couple of people asked me today what my prediction is for tonight's Argentina-Holland game. I can't imagine why they ask since every single one of my predictions for this World Cup has been wrong, sometimes spectacularly so. But none could have been more wrong than what I thought might happen in last night's Brazil-Germany semi-final. I reckoned it would be a tight game, with a single goal deciding it, possibly penalties, with Brazil likely to edge it, given that fervent crowd behind them.

Imagine my surprise when I switched on this morning to catch the second half and saw the 0-5 scoreline. For a moment I thought it might have something to do with corners. Watching the Germans take it with some ease to the final total of seven had something of the surreal about it.

Imagine, your team gets to a World Cup semi-final and you end up feeling as bad as the Brazilian fans will feel today, and for some time to come. Never take anything for granted, eh? (Except for the Germans winning in the end.)

No comments: