Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Road Ahead

29 Ramadhan 1435

10.10

Something ends; something begins. We're off to Melaka to prepare for the big day there, hoping that one of us can find the energy and wakefulness to do the driving. Noi has spent the last few days in a positive blur of activity, cleaning and cooking and baking and biscuiting, such that it's rather incumbent on my good self to find the wherewithal from somewhere in this battered, weary frame to keep us moving on.

As we move on from fasting month I find myself more aware than ever of the need to build upon what I've learnt about myself - or, rather, not forget the lessons. When I was first starting fasting I thought it enough to get through the month, and I suppose it was then. But that isn't the purpose of the experience. There's something attractive about the notion of just getting through, but the question is where that leads you, and the same place isn't a terribly useful destination.

Also now thinking ahead to a dramatic year in 2015 for our thespians. Not that 2014 is over by any means, and there are foundations to consolidate in the months ahead. It's an odd thing, but I've never done a show without ending up actively mulling over possibilities for the next one on the nights of performance.

21.35

Now in Mak's house in Melaka. Full of children, small ones, behaving with the irresponsibility of those who know that that the world revolves around them and their needs. This is an entirely good thing.

No comments: