Friday, July 11, 2014

A Bit Of A Concern

13 Ramadhan 1435

I had the good fortune today to have duties flexible enough to allow me to set off for Friday Prayers well before the azan. I imagined that on arrival I was going to wander into a half-empty mosque and choose my spot. How wrong I was. Arriving a good twenty-five minutes before the call to prayer I found the bottom floor already full enough to consider going upstairs, where there's usually more room. However, I was able to find a spot in a position to facilitate my viewing of the translated khutbah. (All about staying physically healthy, especially during fasting month and full of the kind of sound advice the doctor will give you for a nice fee.)

It seems that the population of male Muslims in this country doubles when it comes to Ramadhan.

Of course, this is far from something to be moaning about, but I'm a bit worried about what's going to happen on the next couple of Fridays if I can't get away in good time. The last time I had a problem finding a spot to pray in was last Hari Raya, back in Alor Gajah, when we arrived at the big mosque in town somewhat later than anticipated. That feeling of mild panic that you're going to be too late to start the prayer and end up looking a complete idiot in a very public place is not one I fancy recapitulating any time soon.

The funny thing is that if you mention these concerns to anyone they'll smile sagely and say it will all work out in the end. And it does.

No comments: