Sunday, June 8, 2014

Togetherness

Forgot to mention in yesterday's post that whilst I was busy doing nothing the Missus was locked in full-on cooking mode, preparing what turned out to be a kenduri of surpassing excellence. Originally the purpose of it all was to say prayers for our intended trip to Makkah, but since that has been postponed to December it turned into a kenduri for its own sake - always a good thing.

She arranged for a bus-load of students from a local school to come along - and I mean a literal bus-load, with thirty kids on board - and a satisfyingly high proportion of family members managed to attend. Watching the serving of food to the assembled multitude was a reminder of the power of community within Malay culture. The only spare part was, of course, my clueless good self. My function was simply to observe and enjoy it all, especially the food. And I did.

No comments: