Sunday, June 29, 2014

Just Like Starting Over

1 Ramadhan 1435

10.43

It was unusual for us to begin the fast in community, as it were. But the pre-dawn sahur snack was taken in a packed kitchen here at Melaka and served as a reminder that much as the fast is an individual trial/struggle/experience there is nothing individualistic about this month of months. It's useful having kids around who just uncomplainingly get on with it; it makes it feel positively infantile to complain at all.

The drive back later should be interesting. Never attempted anything of this nature on the first day. The routine of fasting is somehow never quite routine.

20.16

Relieved to report that I managed driving duties today. Felt a mild headache around 2.30 pm, just after we set off, but it failed to develop into anything genuinely unpleasant and we had a relatively easy journey. There was some hold up at the Malaysian side at Tuas, but not enough to be worrying. We made it back with time to spare for making ready for the breaking of the fast.

It wasn't until I took that first delightful gulp of water with the azan for Maghrib Prayers that I realised I was more than a little dry. I suppose having things to do takes your mind off the body's demands. I'm hoping every day goes as well as this one - but I rather suspect this won't be the case. The challenge is no doubt yet to come.

No comments: