Saturday, April 26, 2014

Nervous Energy

I've been weighing-in these last few days at under my fighting weight. Very gratifying, especially considering my resolution for the New Year. And even more gratifying considering that I've not exactly been stinting on the grub. So, what's the secret?

Well, being heavily involved in matters of the stage, with a performance deadline looming for Monday has helped considerably. Coming back late from rehearsal I've sort of known that when I step on the scales the results are likely to be positive. It's really quite extraordinary just how much I seem to move around in rehearsal and how physically taxing it is to tell performers what you want them to do on a stage, and to arrange circumstances such that they are able to do it.

And then there's the energy that goes into maintaining the state of being hyper that is required just to function as things move to fruition. I could feel it this morning, even before we got started: a kind of inability to settle down and keep still so that even before anyone had arrived I'd covered quite a bit of ground just collecting keys and checking everything was in order. I sometimes think that I may be burning a considerable number of calories simply standing around impatiently waiting to get started.

There's an odd picture of me the Missus unearthed a few months back, I mean a real picture dating from the early 1990s, in which I look positively emaciated. I'm pretty sure it was taken at East Coast Park and I suspect it was just after some show we had done back in those days of the big musicals. I reckon I'd probably just lost something like a stone in the week we put the show on - and I'm guessing I regained the weight very quickly, as soon as the high was over.

The downside of all this is the certain knowledge that I'll be facing that strange and very familiar feeling of complete lethargic shut-down when the energy-bunny batteries run out by the end of the week ahead.

No comments: