Wednesday, April 9, 2014

A Taxing Time

I really must get my tax return for last year done. It's a relatively easy task for me with everything on-line and little to do except declare my income. I'm in the fortunate position of paying income tax solely to the authorities of this small island - rather than being double-taxed - and since the rates here are more than reasonable that's cause for some celebration.

And here's the odd thing. I genuinely don't mind paying a tax on my income, regardless of the nation involved, and never really have done. In fact, it seems odd to me that some people complain so vociferously about the process. (Of course, a bit of a moan and groan over money leaving the wallet is quite natural, and quite in order even for someone like myself who basically doesn't mind, but that's not what I'm talking about here.) The idea that somehow we owe nothing to help create and sustain the societies that help us thrive is extraordinary, as is the idea that we succeed based solely on our remarkable merits as individuals and are entitled to every fruit that grows upon our trees. (Ugly metaphor, but it points at some useful meaning.)

I suppose this is why I might be seen as essentially a man of the left. I do believe in something that might be loosely termed society - and I believe that we are lucky to find ourselves born or accepted into it - and I believe we owe it something.

(Of course, in my more anarchic moods I'd find it impossible to write anything like the above, but for the moment the mellow communitarian shines through.)

No comments: