Sunday, March 9, 2014

None The Wiser

An odd sort of coincidence. I happened to be looking back at journal entries from ten years ago (as is my wont) and came across something relating to a workshop I'd just been attending in the first week of March 2004:

After yesterday's workshop I found myself thinking a good deal about the nature of intelligence, its relationship to our ability to think in innovative ways and how we can develop intelligence, or if we do so at all, in the classroom. After teaching for so many years I actually know very little, if anything, about such matters. Isn't that strange?

Now the coincidence lies in the fact that I'll be attending full-day workshops tomorrow and the day after whilst the students occupy themselves at home with what is now termed E-learning. I have the nagging suspicion I'll emerge from the two days as clueless as I sound above with regard to whatever it is we will get up to. Just as a matter of interest, ten years on and reasonably well-read with regard to the central notion of intelligence, I can't say I feel any the wiser.

And at a tangent from all this, if my old mate Tony is reading this I'm sure he'll be chortling at the idea that I think of myself as being in a workshop. A workshop to him is a place with a lot of machinery in which real work gets done. What a strange notion, eh?

No comments: