Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Packing

Duly finished all my planned reading for the trip and now packing. Still rate Purple Hibiscus very highly, though I felt the last 80 pages or so saw a falling away from the intensity of the early chapters. Thought the plot got a bit contrived in trying to unite the public and private worlds explored. Also finished the NYRB I bought along, so I'm left with Washington Irving's Tales from the Alhambra to read on the plane, a tome I picked up at the fabled location itself. Rather annoyed with myself for not picking up a colourful book entitled Reading the Alhambra which had lots of details about the meaning of the calligraphy in the palace in guidebook fashion. I assumed I would come across it later in Madrid, but this was not to be. There are precious few bookshops or CD shops in the capital, as far as I can see.

My back appears to have healed completely, which considering the state I was in two mornings ago has something of the miraculous about it. I've also been enjoying the best nights' sleep I can remember in years, no doubt Valium induced - which means I think I'll start to lay off the drug soon, though it might prove efficacious for the flight ahead.

Anyway, it's time for prayers and a shower and a shave and whatnot - so cheerio from Spain.

No comments: