Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Packed

I don't think I've ever attended Hari Raya prayers at the Clementi mosque before, either for Hari Raya Puasa or Hari Raya Haji. This morning I went for the prayers for Eid al Adha in what I assumed was good time, that being half an hour before they were due to start, and found that my timing was extremely bad. The car park behind the mosque was completely full, including the obvious spots to park illegally, and the same was true of what little space there was to park in front. I spent twenty-five minutes or so looking for somewhere and finally settled for just about the worst place possible on the main road, not just illegal but blatantly so. My only excuse is, I had no choice. It was really that or miss prayers completely.

As it was the entrance to the mesjid was absolutely packed as I finally arrived and I seriously doubted I would make it into a line for the prayer, but somehow it all worked out - though I was virtually in the toilet area when it came to the prayer itself. I suppose I should say at this point that I don't want to ever repeat the experience, but I won't say that. At some point in the future I'm sure to face an even more trying experience, and in some ways it's useful, if unpleasant, to be tried.

The rest of the day was more relaxing, the highlight being a delicious lunch at Rohana's (with Noi cooking some goodies as well to take along.) In fact, it looks like this will be a week for a packed stomach. We're out dining tomorrow evening and then we're due to attend Christmas Dinner (yes, really - don't ask) on Thursday. Some self control will be in order - though not for the next half hour as we're about to enjoy a supper made up of today's goodies. Bon Appetit!

No comments: