Thursday, October 17, 2013

In Sickness And In Health

I've felt a bit under the weather today - sneezing, streaming nose and headache - so this is by way of a therapeutic moan.

Actually it's been an odd week and half for me on the health front, going back to the Sunday before last. That was when I became uneasily aware of an ache in my back eerily reminiscent of a nerve getting trapped somewhere in the mess of my lower vertebrae. The early part of that week saw the pain get worse, peaking on the Wednesday and Thursday. I was thinking of announcing to the Missus that I was in trouble again, but decided to put it off until I wasn't able to disguise it any more - no point in worrying someone for no reason. Then, mysteriously, the problem very gradually subsided and now it's almost gone. There's just the echo of discomfort left.

This puts me in a vastly better place than my brother-in-law, John, who now can't sleep through the night since the trapped nerve in his back gets worse when he lying down, meaning he gets very little relief at all. He's waiting to go under the knife for a solution and I can well understand why. I say this with no sense of schadenfreude since chances are one day I'll find myself in the same place since our complaints are essentially alike.

So for now I'll be thankful for what I've got, except for this runny nose and sore head which I can well do without.

No comments: