Thursday, October 3, 2013

A Bit Much

Over the last couple of days I've become more aware than ever of the vast riches, in a scope almost impossible to comprehend, of what's available via the Internet. This was all quite by accident, and didn't reveal anything conceptually that was new to me, yet at one point each day I felt delightfully overwhelmed.

The first came when I was following a link from a sort of educational site I occasionally visit and arrived at a classic movie of the 1930s available for viewing in its entirety. Immediately following which I discovered an opera, again available for viewing in its entirety, which I last saw on telly in the 1980s (in a different production) and assumed I would never get the chance to watch again.

And then on the following day I almost negligently linked to a couple of obviously fascinating blogs, extensive in their nature, centred around the kind of poetry and art that I suspect nobody much cares for except me, the bloggers and their very limited (I'm guessing) audience. In this case I grabbed them under Favourites, but suspect I won't be visiting them too often, if at all. And, by the way, I won't be watching the film I mentioned, nor the opera, not in the near future anyway.

I don't have time. And I don't really mind that - I'm not writing this in any spirit of complaint. Even if I had did have time to do the business with the above I wouldn't have time, nobody would, for all their wonderful companions waiting in the wings. I also need to add that I'm not overwhelmed by choice, though I could imagine someone feeling that way. In fact, I'm finding it quite easy not to watch, not to listen, not to read, because I'm enjoying plenty of other things in my spare time.

I suppose I'm writing this in a spirit of celebration, happy at my ease of access to these treasures, and happier still that I can find from somewhere the wisdom not to abuse that access. I'm lucky this stuff wasn't around when I was a youngster. I don't think I could have summoned the wherewithal as a teenager to resist temptation. As I've said before, I'm fairly sure I would have been addicted to computer gaming if it had been around way back when.

No comments: