Thursday, June 13, 2013

Visitors

Enjoyed a visit this afternoon from Hamza and Sharifah. Spent an hour or so swopping hernia tales with Hamza - he's just had his operated on; I had mine done towards the end of the 90s. His scars are massive; mine could barely be seen. I think I had an easier time of it, all in all. Also he's just been diagnosed as diabetic whilst my cholesterol levels - the one thing I've had a mild concern about for the past decade - were more than reasonable on my last screening.

But before you assume I'm being insufferably triumphalist, let me assure you I just feel unreasonably lucky and darkly sure the luck will run out one day. In fact, Hamza has taken the diagnosis of diabetes in his stride and sounded very positive about the adjustments he'll need to make to his habits to ensure things stay under control. And that's just about the best we can manage given our ripe and ripening years.

No comments: