Thursday, June 20, 2013

Looking Back

I forgot to mention that I came up here by coach, Noi having driven up with the car the week previously. And on the coach, with the help of the wonders of technology, I got to watch The Life Of Pi. Quite an impressive movie and definitely true to the spirit of the novel, convincing me more than ever that the natural audience for the work, in which ever form it presents itself, are teenagers.

And on the same journey I also finished a second read of my old chum Len Webster's memoir of his youth in the Midlands, Lone Wolf. He very kindly posted this to me a year or so ago and his brief but engaging account of growing up as a West Brom supporter has found its natural audience in another old fellah trying to remember what it was like in the days before you could watch a film on a bus - indeed, a time when doing such a thing would sound like science fiction. I reckon it was better then, but, of course, I would say that, wouldn't I?

2 comments:

Len Webster said...

So glad you managed a second reading, Brian - and how nice to have books with covers and pictures instead of these new-fangled palm-sized electronic contraptions!

Brian Connor said...

Good to know you're dropping in, Len.

Lone Wolf is a lovely book to hold, and read, and the pictures add immeasurably to the experience of reading it. It captures a generation and class that generated many of the values I grew up with.

I have been thinking for a while of getting some kind of e-reader - to save space on my shelves if nothing else - but still haven't got round to it.