Thursday, May 23, 2013

Something

Enjoyed listening to some students expatiate on (what's) The Meaning of Life (?) today and was asked at one point what I thought the answer was. Was tempted to reply 42 (of course) but declined to answer, except to point out that I think it's very interesting indeed that there's something rather than nothing.

Went on to think about this for quite a bit of the afternoon, and it got even more interesting. Much ado about something, indeed.

And as a bit of a digression, Donne is very good on nothing: if I an ordinary nothing were...

2 comments:

Simon said...

Hi Brian - hope all is well and you've recovered from the globetrotting. Amused me and attached link also http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/history/42-the-answer-to-life-the-universe-and-everything-2205734.html

Where do they find this stuff? (Typo on Ray Dorsey I think from memory)

Brian Connor said...

Hi Simon - smashing to hear from you and many thanks for the Independent link (complete with the definite Ray Dorsey typo.)

Glad the globetrotting is at an end - Cardiff Airport, if you didn't know, is the pits.

I actually remember the first time I heard the answer to the question of life, the universe and everything on the original Guide broadcast on Radio 4. And I still think it's funny.