Monday, April 22, 2013

The Basics

I was doing a sort of talk for teachers the other week when I happened to remark in passing that listening was obviously not a natural skill. Actually I don't remember saying it, though it's the sort of thing I'd be likely to say. The reason I know I made the comment is that an afternoon or so later a colleague said something about the talk to me and drew attention to the fact he thought my thoughts on listening were quite remarkable and he'd never thought about the skill, the mechanism, whatever it is in quite that manner before.

Whilst he was fairly complimentary in tone I detected an air of scepticism with regard to my insights, and was pleased to do so. It's refreshing to be challenged, especially with regard to your deepest assumptions. And I rather hope I'd refreshed my colleague in terms of making him reconsider what he thought might be going on when people appear to be listening.

So after due reconsideration let me tell you what my experience as a teacher suggests with regard to the ability to listen in a focused, active manner. It's rare and undervalued. If you've got it, treasure it. Cultivate it. You are automatically part of an elite, though not necessarily a valued elite. But if you haven't got it, don't worry. Few folk have, and the lack of it usually doesn't do too much harm.

No comments: