Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Getting Philosophical

One odd development in my thought over the last few years, and more specifically the last three, has been a new interest in the serious study of Philosophy. The last time I genuinely applied myself in any strenuous, systematic way to the subject was in my first year at university. It was one of the three subjects I took and, to my surprise, the university authorities suggested I should adopt it as my major. I rather hope this was because they thought I had a talent for it, but suspect it may have been because they thought my lit wasn't up to much (which it wasn't as I resolutely chose to read what suited me rather than what I was supposed to.) I decided to take the easy way out and to entertain myself for the subsequent two years, and have never felt any regret about that. I'd reached the end of my road philosophically, was too lazy to question my fundamental assumptions in any great depth, and pretty much decided that wisdom lay elsewhere.

Of course, I didn't abandon philosophical thought entirely and dipped in now and again to what caught my fancy, but not in a way that could honestly be seen as central to my orientation to the world and its mysteries. And this was especially the case since Theory as applied to lit, seemed to me useful only as the starting point for a good satirical novel, and the whole postmodern shebang was obviously a passing fad.

Even my move towards theism was quite consciously not fuelled by matters philosophical, except in the most casual sense.

But all that has changed, and I suppose the Internet is to blame. A mild interest in what's available online in the way of philosophy blogs and the like has turned almost addictive. One example is the excellent blog maintained by Prof Edward Feser. I disagree with quite a number of his views, but the clarity of his writing is a joy. His piece on The Road From Atheism is a nice example of the genuine substance he brings to material I once thought of as a done deal. My belated recognition that there's more to think about than I ever thunk is exciting, but faintly intimidating - where to find the time to get the rusty engine of the mind working again? By a strange coincidence I recently had the good fortune to come across his intro to Philosophy Of Mind on the library shelves at work and I've now got it on a long term loan.

More anon, as they say.

2 comments:

The Hierophant said...

I find the 'Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy' a great resource and an even better time-waster (in the best sense).

Brian Connor said...

Yes, this is what the Internet was meant for. (The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, not wasting time. Though then again...)