Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Heat Is On

With the UK having some foul weather lately it would be tactless of me to complain about the hot spell we're undergoing in this Far Place - and I wouldn't complain anyway as my reptilian blood enjoys being warmed up. It was with the idea of basking in the heat that I set off earlier in the day for Holland Village, that and to imbibe the cup that cheers at the rather jolly Coffeebean there. Sitting outside with my somewhat over-sized cup (they do make them big these days, don't they?), enjoying a couple of chapters of Trollope, was just the thing to make me feel reasonably tickety-boo. And I managed to pick up a copy of the January/February Philosophy Now, confirming the fact that the magazine stall on the corner regularly stocks it. I added an issue of The New York Review of Books, the one reviewing Oliver Sacks's Hallucinations, just to feel complete. (By the way, my policy now is to buy literary and other worthy mags only when I've finished reading whatever's on the shelves and delivered that, in its turn, to my desk at work where other folk can borrow them.)

After that I walked back to the Hall, having caught the bus to actually get there, timing the journey at about half an hour. This resulted in damp clothing but a sense of refreshment to off-set the mild discomfort. I really should do more walking than I do, having been a great walker back in England, but this is one way in which the climate here can defeat me.

1 comment:

The Hierophant said...

If we could somehow encourage the two to come towards each other in moderation that'd be ideal.