Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Accomplishment

Noi is watching the Masterchef final as I gaze on from a distance. It isn't that I don't enjoy the programme - it's a delight - but, as I have mentioned before, the level of stress it engenders, especially when you're really rooting for the participants, is extraordinary. Who knew that cooking could be this exciting?

The problem with the final is I just don't want any of the three to lose. The (amateur!!) cooks are obviously brilliant, and that's without being able to taste, or even smell, their dishes.

What I love about the programme, though, is the sense of celebration it engenders. Why can't we have more tv that's about ability and accomplishment and the sheer pleasure of seeing others create wonderful things? (And if anyone ever wonders why I put cooking on the list of The Arts when I lecture on the topic, watching this would answer them.)

No comments: