Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Moving On

Found the very readable second novel by Tash Aw easy to finish, but slightly disappointing towards the end. The irresolute resolution of the brothers' story was okay, and the final revelation as to what happened when they were separated at the orphanage was touching, but it wasn't like pulling any real rabbits out of the hat. And the 'happy ending' for Margaret, Karl and Adam didn't do much for me, especially since in some ways it went against the grain of the novel - though since I came to actively like the characters I can't really complain too much.

No, I think the thing I was really hoping for, insights into the fall of Sukarno, didn't arrive and that's what bothered me. But that's not exactly fair - it's as if I'm asking Mr Aw to write quite a different novel. Having said that, the scene between Margaret and the President towards the end was electric and I'd love for this writer to go further in this direction in future.

In the meantime, I've gone in the direction of Raymond Chandler. I picked a couple of old favourites off the shelves at Maison KL for pure pleasure and reading the first two chapters of The Big Sleep was a reminder that no one, not even Dash Hammett, can beat Chandler when he's completely on top of his game. I also brought Trollope's The Prime Minister back to the Hall. More comfort reading for the tough times ahead.

No comments: