Friday, October 5, 2012

Prohibitions

Thoroughly enjoyed a cuppa plus kaya toast at Holland Village this afternoon with the Missus. (When don't I?) We've long decided that Ya Kun Kaya Toast serves the best on the island - so there's a bit of a plug for that noble franchise. But now follows a bit of a critical question, so I don't think this post will be of any help in my campaign for well-remunerated product placement in these virtual pages.

You see the franchise has four little prohibitive posters on its walls, of the No Pets variety. In fact, that's one of them, and I can understand why. But what I just don't get is one saying something to the effect of No Photography or Videoing. (Actually, I've got a horrible feeling it's No Videography, but I couldn't quite bring myself to type that.) Now what is wrong with taking a picture in one of their fine establishments? I can't see what the inconvenience to other customers might be. Truth to be told, I can't imagine why anyone should want to be taking snapshots in those surroundings. But imagining they did, what possible harm could there be?

Is it that the Ya Kun people are protecting trade secrets, preventing espionage from rivals determined to mimic their decor, their kaya-making expertise? And how are you going to stop determined spies from getting the precious info on camera?

I know I'm probably completely wrong about the espionage bit, though it is rather fun to think of it, but I really am baffled as to any logical explanation for the prohibition. And, to add to the puzzle, I'm vaguely aware of seeing the notice in other places of business. Is it just that the taking of pictures is now regarded as a social menace? If so, why isn't an old curmudgeon such as myself bothered by it?

Now a ban on handphones, that I can understand, and welcome.

4 comments:

Trebuchet said...

Maybe it's to protect the privacy of assorted individuals, who might not want to be caught taking kopi with certain other individuals...

Brian Connor said...

My goodness. Such cynicism! It's not as if we're living in a police state.

Which reminds me of one of my favourite political jokes, originating, I believe, in Poland in the 1970s: Why do the secret police go around in threes? Answer: There's one who can read; one who write; and one to keep an eye on the two dangerous intellectuals.

And more seriously, let's make time for the cup that cheers soon, eh?

Trebuchet said...

Ah yes, indeed, a cup! And you'll probably recognize the roots of this old joke too...

Brian Connor said...

Loved the punchline! 'Ouch' factor a definite 10/10. In kopi veritas, to mix more than metaphors.