Monday, October 8, 2012

On The Go

 
The little lot pictured above represents my current reading. Promiscuous as I may be in this respect I'm trying to retain some semblance of faithfulness by seeing each one through to the end, sequentially, no matter how long it may take.

Actually I've already completed McEwan's Solar, which I found an easy read, as is invariably the case for me with his work. But what was a bit different for me this time round was finding myself twice laughing out loud whilst reading. The first time was during the bit when the obnoxious protagonist Prof Beard was caught short on the ice and decided to relieve himself out there, at great risk to the nether parts of his person. I can't remember the second bit, but it was funny at the time.

Oddly, much as I enjoy McEwan I generally seem to find him a bit contrived, and Solar was no exception. I'd read rave reviews from people whose judgment I trust when the novel first came out but even then thought it all sounded a bit clunky somehow, and I was right. Fun, though.

2 comments:

Trebuchet said...

I have regressed rather badly. I am now reading a complete collection of E R Burroughs' 'John Carter, Warlord of Mars' sequence. Next up, a complete Tarzan.

Brian Connor said...

Oh, how are the mighty fallen! Hah!