Saturday, August 25, 2012

Not So Entrepreneurial

Found myself lecturing today in a spot known as The Entrepreneurial Room. Thought this was very funny as I am possibly the least entrepreneurial person I know and I was lecturing, in very broad terms, about poetry one of the few things I know that pretty much defies commodification. To put that a little more simply, as I did to my young audience, you're not going to make a lot of money out of it.

(It would be quite illuminating, I think, to draw up a league table of poets based on their earnings.)

Quite enjoyed giving my lecture, but for me the highlight of the day was listening to the three student presentations I sat in for as a 'literary critic'. There's something about what happens when you see youngsters getting really engaged in what they've read that is quite magical. (I wonder if a school will one day name a room The Magical Room? Mind you, it's a hard billing to live up to.)

No comments: