Saturday, August 11, 2012

Doing The Math

22 Ramadhan 1433

We're at that point in the fasting month when Noi is happily oblivious as to how many days there are left whilst I am obsessively counting down. Curiously this is not because I'm desperate for the month to end; rather it's just something I always do, so here I am doing it. The fact that tomorrow will be the final Sunday of fasting, and then Monday the final Monday holds a kind of fascination for me, akin to counting down the days of Advent as a child.

Noi commented the other day that she could easily go on fasting at the month's end having adjusted to the routines, and I must say I know what she means. I know I'm going to miss breaking the fast by the second day of Syawal. But I also know I'm going to enjoy drinking a cup of tea at my desk again and popping down to SAC to sample there the cup that cheers. The wonderful thing is that those experiences are no longer quite so routine but can be more deeply savoured when viewed in the light of various Ramadhans.

No comments: