Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Expecting The Unexpected

A long time back I mistakenly noted in my diary that this Friday was the first day of Ramadhan. It was only yesterday that I realised the error and that I'd got the month beginning a day earlier than the actual day - which is Saturday. This came as a bit of relief; not that I'm terribly worried about beginning the fast, but Friday's quite an odd day with my school's cross country in the morning and some rehearsing to do in the afternoon, which is likely to prove intense as it's now only a week to showtime and we have a piece that we've only just finished writing. The notion of still adjusting to the fast with all this going on had been a little intimidating. Now I've got the weekend to adjust, with only a bit of rehearsing due this Saturday.

But this is the great thing about the fasting month. Since it doesn't occupy a fixed position in the year, owing to the operation of the lunar calendar involved, each experience is a different one. My first years of fasting occupied the January - February period and I've now gone backward, as it were, through the months to this almost mid-point of the year. This will be the first time I've ever fasted whilst in full production mode and figuring out the logistical challenge will shift the focus of my attention to some degree from its usual concerns. So we'll begin again with a different beginning.

Interestingly, last year was the first time I ever experienced distinct pangs of regret at completing the fast, as opposed to my usual sense of relief and accomplishment. Whether that will be repeated remains to be seen, assuming, of course, I fast successfully, something you learn never to take for granted.

2 comments:

Trebuchet said...

Now, that's a truly profound insight about change and constancy and the nature of the spiritual realm. Thanks!

Brian Connor said...

I'm pleased that what I wrote struck a chord, especially since I didn't express it terribly well. I find that's true of anything I write related to the fasting month: it feels like a raid on the inarticulate, as if I know I have important things to say but somehow can never quite say them.